Re: Intended usage notification

Doug Turner <doug.turner@gmail.com> writes:

> sorry, Henning is right.  I only speak for myself and +1 what greg
> said, what andrei said, what Ian said, and what Max said.

I can't say I disagree with Nick though, especially after I've discussed the problem with local user interaction experts.

When I start the camera app on my iphone, I get the pop up asking if the app can use my location. That's annoying, because I usually want to take a picture quickly. Now if the camera app wanted to explain why it wanted my position, you'd have another pop-up beforehand saying "I would like to use your position in order to tag your picture, so please click yes on the next prompt". 2 modal dialogues before I can actually snap. Not nice.

So at this point the best I can think of is 1 dialogs containing something like:

 "This app wants to use your location. It says:" (familiar yellow bar style)
"Click yes if you'd like your pictures tagged with lat/lon" (some other style showing that text is not from the browser).

Not great. Maybe there's a solution that mitigates better user experience and privacy.

Max.